30 Jan A GAHWA WITH
Name: Safiye Kücükkaraca
Nationality: Danish Turkish
Years in Riyadh: 3
Profession: Head of Trade Department
1. Why did you move to Riyadh?
– A job opportunity came up with the Danish Embassy.
2. What’s your favorite thing about being an expat in Riyadh?
– I like Saudi Arabia and its people, I have never experienced people who are as generous and being close to Makkah and Madinah is really a privilege.
3. Best restaurant in Riyadh?
– I have 2 favourites: Spazio in the Kingdom Tower. It has good food and the best view in town and the second is Thai Vila – it’s a very local restaurant with hardly any service, very old, but the food and atmosphere is great.
4. What do you miss most?
– The CINEMA!
5. Best Arabic food?
– A good homemade Jarrish is great. Tried it for the first time at Janaderiyah and its still in my top favorite foods
6. Which is the first word you learned in Arabic?
– I already knew basic words like Masallah, Insallah etc. But the first one I learned while being in Saudi Arabia was Sabah Al Khair/Sabah Al Nour (Good Morning).
7. Which type of dates you like most?
– I don’t remember its name, but the ones that has to be in the fridge.
8. What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?
– I was in Turkey a few weeks ago and it was snowing, so I fell because it was very slippery and spontaneously I started laughing while calling my cousins to please help me up!
9. What custom/ habits do you find most strange about your adopted culture?
– I find it strange that during the holy month of Ramadan; all of the malls are open during the night and closed during the day.
10. What advice would you give other expats?
– Start with downloading the prayer application and make sure to plan the shopping according to the prayer times.
Other than that, to enjoy their time here because for most of us it’s limited, enjoy the experience, travel the country, go camping in the desert, and make Saudi friends so they really understand the culture and the country.