by Anya Mohammed
Makeup and Facial Aesthetic expert
Skin is from the most beautiful parts of a woman. Good skin with a healthy and dewy look can make any woman look attractive naturally while a skin less pampered for can give an impression most would be less appreciative of. To care for our skin is a duty of ours. If we look after this outer largest organ of ours, I assure you, we will not need any expensive visits to the dermatologists. One of the most common problems in this country we face is DRY skin! That itchy, patchy, stretchy DRY skin! I have seen women using remedies that actually make things worse. Many misconceptions exist when it comes to dry skin which I’d like to address in this article. I will also share a few natural ingredients to use that can give your skin health and vitality.
The first thing that is crucial to understand is – the more limit we put to using unnatural products on our skin, the better it is for us. We are already exposed to so much radiation and chemicals all day; we do not need to apply them on our skin. Most creams and makeup are unnatural products. Using them on the skin puts us at more risk of skin diseases and aging because dry skin is at more risk of premature aging – Ughhh! So go green on your skin beautiful ladies! We need to moisturize and for that we need to use facial creams which are in a way chemicals but we need those. Spending hundreds of bucks on more chemicals such as masks, facial sheet etc. is not a wise decision. Our kitchen and fridge hold the best items for our skin health.
Tips for DRY SKIN:
- Never OVER exfoliate and by exfoliate I mean SCRUB! Ok, so a lot of people say that dry skinners should not exfoliate. If you do that you are doing something terribly cruel with yourself. Skin that is not exfoliated gives a ton of issues like premature aging, open dry pores, oil clogs, dark spots and uneven skin tone. No matter what type of skin, you have to exfoliate – the only care for DRY SKIN is to not over do it and to not use harsh hands while doing so. Limit exfoliation to twice a week and use soft hand circular motions. Do not press to deep into your skin even if you have the urge to remove flaky and patchy skin. Resist the urge and use the RIGHT scrub GENTLY!
- Avoid HOT WATER! Avoid steaming or washing dry skin as heat only rips out moisture and leaves skin more dehydrated. Instead use lukewarm water that is not in any way harsh to your skin.
- Avoid using any type of FACIAL MASKS from the drugstore! Facial masks or sheets have a lot of alcohol in them and alcohol is very tough and rough on skin. Instead opt for home care. The more natural the better!
- Never forget to MOISTURIZE! Moisturizing is crucial for dry skin. DO NOT skip it even if you ran a marathon. Gently wash your face always before applying any kind of moisturizer otherwise you can clog your pores with dirt from the environment. Apply moisturizer twice a day. Use a high SPF day cream as dry skin can get over sensitive to the sun and at night use an anti aging or age defense cream, depending on your age. DRY SKIN tends to age premature so you may start to notice fine lines and wrinkles at an early age. You don’t want that! So please use a good quality night cream or serum!
- Never use any oil alone on your skin. Always mix oil with another softer agent to avoid hyper pigmentation and clogging your pores.
- A makeup tip! If you have DRY SKIN do not use compact powder directly on your skin! That will enhance your dry patches and make your skin look and feel even drier. So use a BB cream first then apply light powder only in areas where creasing may occur.
HOME REMEDIES FOR DRY SKIN:
- 4tbps brown sugar + 1tbsp honey + 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil. Gently rub this on your face and body. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes then take a shower with lukewarm water. Moisturize
- 2tsps fresh cream + 2 to 3 drops of lemon + 1tsps milk. Apply this as a mask. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes then wash with lukewarm water and mild face wash. Moisturize
- 1\2 cup yoghurt + 2tbsp mashed papaya + 1tsp honey + 2 to 3 drops lemon + 2tbsp of almond, rosehip or jojoba oil. Mix and apply as a mask. Leave on for 20 to 25 minutes then wash off with lukewarm water and mild face wash. Moisturize
- 1\2 banana + 2tbsp coconut oil. Mash and mix. Apply on your face for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water and mild face wash. Moisturize
- 1\2 avocado + 1tsp honey + 2 tbsp olive oil. Mash and mix. Apply on face for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water and mild face wash. Moisturize
- Rose water + Aloe Vera gel. Mix in equal amounts in a spray bottle. Keep refrigerated. Spritz on face twice a day.